“Research of cold plasma technology for the sanitization of meat products”.
- Driving-force company: AN AVÍCOLA MÉLIDA, S.L.
- Leader: Centro Nacional de Tecnología y Seguridad Alimentaria (CNTA)
Objective: Study and development of cold plasma technology to improve the microbiological quality of poultry meat products, which would benefit from an increase in their safety and shelf life.
The increased demand for high quality fresh meat products, convenience, safety, fresh appearance and long shelf life, have sparked interest in having non-thermal preservation technologies.
Cold plasma technology is positioned as having great potential:
– For its versatility for the decontamination of a wide variety of microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi and viruses.
– Due to its null or minimal impact on the sensory characteristics of the products.
– It is a physical treatment that could replace or reduce the need for chemical preservatives.
”This project has been funded by the Government of Navarra through the call for aid to Technology Centers and Research Agencies and dissemination of knowledge for the realization of R&D projects 2018″