Fostering Mediterranean fish ensuring traceability and authenticity
Surefish develops and implements a global solution that integrates security, traceability and authenticity for the fish supply chain in the Mediterranean. This solution is validated through pilot cases located in 4 Mediterranean countries, each focused on a representative Mediterranean species: anchovy, grouper, tilapia and bluefin tuna.
The Surefish consortium, with 13 partners from both shores of the Mediterranean Sea (Egypt, Italy, Lebanon, Spain and Tunisia), works synergistically with technologies and skills in ICT, blockchain, smart labeling and packaging, innovative analytical and sensory methods for traceability and identification of fraud in fishery products.
At the same time, the project will develop a communication strategy to promote consumer confidence (with certification marks and APPs) and disseminate the results.
- ENCO SRL (Leader) Italy
- Universidad de Nápoles Federico II Italy
- CNTA – Centro Nacional de Tecnología y Seguridad Alimentaria Spain
- INGENIERÍA Y CONTROL ELECTRÓNICO S.A. Spain
- INSTITUTO TECNOLOGICO DEL EMBALAJE, TRANSPORTE Y LOGISTICA Spain
- ANFACO Spain
- INSTITUT NATIONAL DES SCIENCES ET TECHNOLOGIES DE LA MER Tunisia
- Group Didon Marée Tunisia
- ASSOCIATION SLOW FOOD TEBOURBA Tunisia
- Central Laboratory for Aquaculture Research Egypt
- Fish Basket Egypt
- American University of Beirut Lebanon
- Sofia For Fresh and Frozen Fish Trading S.A.R.L Lebanon
CNTA is working on the development of methods for detecting fraud in fish based on NIR and hyperspectral imaging technologies, which can provide information on the origin and preservation of fish quickly and non-destructively.
In addition, in the Surefish project we are working on the harmonisation of analytical methods for fraud detection based on DNA, sensory evaluation, isotopic and metal profiles, nutritional, etc., with the aim of establishing them as valid methods for the determination of each type of fraud present in the sector.
We are currently working with 4 pilot cases: bluefin tuna, anchovy, tilapia and Red Mullet, from different Mediterranean countries (Spain, Tunisia, Lebanon and Egypt) to demonstrate the results and innovative solutions developed in the project.
SUREFISH is a project funded under H2020 conditions by PRIMA, the Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area in the 2019 call